Darren A. Somsen
Salt Lake City, Utah
Email: darren (at) darrensomsen (dot) com
Senior Marketing Executive with over 20 years of experience establishing market penetration strategies in B2B and consumer marketing environments. Breadth of experience includes: data analytics, direct marketing, affiliate marketing, P&L management, product portfolio development, financial analysis, contract negotiation, vendor relations, and leading cross-functional project teams in health-care, manufacturing, and SaaS organizations. Expertise encompasses: launching or re-branding 8 companies; creating 25 strategic marketing plans and budgets; developing over 80 advertising and direct marketing campaigns; directing 75 trade show product/services presentations; participating in 30 broadcast and print interviews; and teaching 35 executive and entry-level team members how to effectively present products to prospects and clients. Demonstrated ability to quickly understand the competitive situation and needs of various markets, then define and execute marketing strategies that increase growth and enhance profitability.
- Managed $1.3M marketing budget for multiple franchise locations.
- Headed all functions related to Half Dental Franchise marketing.
- Board of Directors – Chevron-West Credit Union.
- Generated $1M in increased product sales for Phonex Corporation when a major distribution partner closed, saving Phonex from a projected loss of $250,000.
- Oversaw the PatrolSim’s re-introduction, resulting in a move to first-place in brand recognition.
New Business Development:
- Launched ListFusion’s sales & marketing program which increased sales by 300%
- Redefined Expression Media’s services and client-base, resulting in a 20% increase in the first year of implementation.
- Budgeting Expertise
- Database and Direct Mail Lead Generation
- Sales Force/Distributor Management
- Cross-Functional Project Management
- SEO, PPC, PPA, & Affiliate Marketing
- Trade Show Management
- Market Research & Data Analysis
- Staff Leadership and Management
- Marketing & Communications Management
- Graphics and Office Productivity Software
Vice President of Marketing
KITTEL & ALLEN – Salt Lake City, Utah
September 2014 to Present
(Marketing consultants serving small to mid-sized businesses.)
- Develop SEO strategy for small businesses and start-ups.
- Develop low-cost marketing campaigns to penetrate market place.
- Create marketing budget and plans for small businesses.
- Data analytics to determine viability of market place.
- Design marketing creative across multiple disciplines.
- Sales and budgeting analytics.
- Helped multiple clients achieve over 100% growth in one year.
Vice President of Marketing
HALF DENTAL FRANCHISE – St. George, Utah
October 2013 to May 2014
(The first dental practice franchise in the United States.)
- Accountable for all corporate and franchise marketing and advertising.
- Negotiated pricing and manage all vendor relationships.
- Projected costs and budgets of advertising and marketing for all franchised practices.
- Reviewed marketing programs and adjusted for improved impact and ROI.
- Managed new practice grand opening events.
- Manage all SEO activity.
- Created :60 radio spots for different demographics and markets.
- Created all print and direct marketing creative.
- Wrote and managed all social media and blogs.
- Grew new client leads by 100%.
Marketing Consultant – Project Manager
HENRY SCHEIN TECHCENTRAL – American Fork, Utah
October 2012 to March 2013
(Technology, hardware, software and support provider to the dental industry.)
- Analyzed existing customer database and extracted targeted data to jump-start project sales.
- Developed new customer and prospect database.
- Created new direct marketing campaigns, tracked results, and implemented changes to increase responses.
- Developed and implemented new sales and marketing campaign for TechCentral Support Plan.
- Spearheaded cross-functional initiative to achieve a 255% increase in client-base.
Director of Marketing
EXPRESSION MEDIA GROUP – Salt Lake City, Utah
October 2009 to May 2011
(Video production and DRTV agency.)
- Created SEO, DRTV, banner ad and affiliate marketing campaigns.
- Created presentations including; copy, content, graphics, editing and printing.
- Created trade show exhibit to develop strong brand within expanding markets.
- Managed projects and collaborated with team to insure clients’ expectations were exceeded.
- Created social media sites for corporate branding and product sales.
- Purchased media buys for DRTV (direct response television) campaigns and collaborated with Google AdSense to adapt advertising based upon evolving demographics and data analytics.
- Launched Super Band insect repellent DRTV and online sales campaign.
Marketing & Sales Consultant
CINEMASACK – South Jordan, Utah
April 2009 to May 2011
(Consumer product manufacturer and online retailing company.)
- Created SEO, PPC, PPA, DRTV, banner ad, direct marketing and affiliate marketing campaigns.
- Created logos, marketing materials, copy, website, content, and graphics.
- Reviewed and revised campaigns based upon data analytics.
- Developed new sales channels.
Vice President, Marketing & Sales
LISTFUSION – Orem, Utah
June 2004 to January 2009
(Database and cloud-computing provider for the direct marketing industry.)
- Launched ListFusion’s marketing and sales department, generating a 300% annual revenue increase.
- Managed operations for client databases consumer and B2B transactional records.
- Negotiated directly with list brokers, managers, and data aggregators within the direct marketing industry.
- Managed development of first SaaS/cloud-computing service within the direct marketing industry.
- Trained clients on use of database analytics for accurate direct response data extraction.
- Created direct marketing materials, and collaborated with clients to improve their direct response rate.
- Trained all marketing, sales staff, and senior management in proper product presentation.
- Worked with clients and business partners to develop accurate market penetration strategies.
Vice President of Operations
DOT ACADEMY – Salt Lake City, Utah
November 2001 to June 2002
(An over-the-road driver training facility.)
- Managed in-bound sales team, instructors, and administrative personnel.
- Scripted :30 and :60 radio spots for student recruiting.
- Created all advertising and marketing materials.
- Created all student curricula materials.
- Negotiated with local and national transportation carriers for student placement.
- Managed all vendor relationships.
Manager, Marketing & Communications
GE CAPITAL I-SIM – Salt Lake City, Utah
June 2000 to November 2001
(Manufacturer of precision driver-training simulators used by law enforcement, OTV transportation and emergency responders.)
- Developed corporate database for marketing CRM.
- Created and executed all marketing and advertising campaigns based upon regional needs, events and known municipal budgetary calendars.
- Authored press releases and internal communications regarding updates to simulator products.
- Created all marketing collateral, direct mail advertising, print advertising, video presentations and trade show exhibits.
- Executed multiple large-format corporate events.
- Directed contact for print and broadcast media regarding all aspects of corporate brand.
- Coached senior management during all interviews and interactions with press.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Bachelors of Business Administration, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Professional Media Training, Franchetti & Associates, New York, New York
- Diploma in Online Marketing, Shaw Academy, Dublin, Ireland
- Disney Institute Keys to Excellence, Utah Valley University, Orem, Utah
Download Darren’s Resume Darren Somsen, Marketing and Sales Resume